Saturday, February 23, 2008

Saturday, February 23 - The little things in life

We're settling in here, still living somewhat out of boxes, with bureau drawers which should hold clothes actually holding glassware. When we packed, both from Maine here, and from Butchertown to Alum Springs, Barry ingeniously packed the glassware in my CLEAN socks. I have so many, that he had enough to pack each and every breakable piece we own, and I still had enough left over to wear. I guess that says I have too many socks.

The artwork, photographs, paintings -- all those things in frames, I packed in tee-shirts. Again, I had bags left over after the packing was done. Too many? Well most of them are souvenirs of trips, so no, not too many, but more than I need or can wear. What to do?

Little things -- matching up all the now glass-ware-free socks. Well, most of them anyway. I'm convinced that almost no one in the world has ever matched every single sock. Unless all you own is one or two pair. Some how, the sock gremlin that lives in the washing machine "steals" one, leaving you with an orphan. Every time you do a laundry, you lose one more, creating a massive pile of unmatched socks. So you throw those out, and, VOILA, the sock gremlin deposits all his singles in your sock drawer -- so now where you would have had matches, you once again have singles.

It's a conspiracy, I tell ya!

It has been icy here, schools closed, hundreds of accidents -- none serious so we hear though. I'd rather drive in Maine's snow than in Kentucky's ice. At least snow gives the car some traction. Except on KMD in Waterville, which it seems is NEVER plowed anyway. Last night we had a terriffic fog, which has frozen into drizzle snow. When cars get out on that, it's wet and packs down into -- guess what -- ICE. If it were a weekday, most schools would be closed for the 2nd or 3rd day this week. I honestly don't know how long the school year is here, nor how many storm days schools allow, but they MUST have used them all up at this point. I mean, by Labor Day, some schools had used 2-3 "heat" days, when the temps were over 100, and some of the older schools aren't air-conditioned! Having taught in a classroom that was 90+, and actually suffering heatstroke while teaching, I wouldn't want to do that here! There is NO learning when temps are much above 80.

Barry is on the internet researching peach trees. Lowe's garden center was packed yesterday, and people are getting antsy. One gal the other day was complaining about the "long winter." HAH! Tell that to you guys in Maine who are waiting for the snow to melt enough to reveal where you parked the car! Maine has two seasons -- Nine months of winter, and three months of damned poor sledding. Or, Winter and the Fourth of July. Or Five seasons, Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter, and Mud.

Anyway, it will be time to rototill the garden within a week or so, and then we can get the spinach, peas and chard planted. Those can probably go in now. More tender crops will have to wait until March or even April. But now is the time to plant fruit trees, hence Barry's Quest for the Perfect Peach!

I haven't "blogged" much lately, partly due to the move, partly due to the lapse in internet service, and partly because "Blogger" wouldn't recognize my old email address so I couldn't log on. Also, I haven't wanted to bore anyone with the mundane ramblings of a retired teacher, but I guess blogging is like a diary -- if all we wrote were the earth-shaking events of our lives, we'd only have a few entries. In a diary, everything is important.

Even matching socks.

No comments:

Post a Comment